In a significant move aimed at simplifying the process of filing sales tax returns, the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has established a dedicated committee. This committee, consisting of 10 key members, is entrusted with the responsibility of designing, developing, and implementing a single portal for filing sales tax returns that will be applicable across different tax jurisdictions.
The formation of this committee comes as part of the FBR’s commitment to facilitate businesses and enhance the ease of doing business in Pakistan. By creating a unified platform for filing sales tax returns, the FBR aims to streamline and simplify the process for taxpayers.
Meet the Committee Members:
The committee comprises experts and officials with diverse backgrounds and roles within the FBR and its associated entities. Here are the key members of the committee:
- Ardsher Saleem Tariq – Member (Reforms & Modernization)
- Nasir Khan – Member (Information Technology)
- Aamir Amin Bhatti – Chief (Provincial Taxes)
- Zain-ul-Abidin Sahi – Chief (IT System), FBR
- Mahwish Khan – Second Secretary, FBR
- Faisal Sulaiman – Senior Business Analyst, PRAL
- Farheen Azhar – Senior Manager (Commercial Projects), PRAL
- Shahid Sharif – Manager (Development), PRAL
- Khalid Jamil – Director Program, FBR
- Sadia Akmal – Additional Director, FBR
The committee’s tasks are well-defined, with specific milestones to ensure timely progress. Here are the key project milestones:
- Develop a single portal for filing sales tax returns in the telecom sector for the FBR and Punjab Revenue Authority by October 31, 2023.
- Complete the development of a comprehensive single portal applicable to all tax authorities and sectors by May 31, 2024.
This initiative is a significant step towards simplifying the taxation process in Pakistan, making it more efficient and accessible for businesses and taxpayers. By unifying the tax return filing system, the FBR aims to reduce the administrative burden on taxpayers and promote transparency in tax compliance.
As the committee works diligently to meet these milestones, the business community and taxpayers can look forward to a more streamlined and user-friendly tax filing process in the near future. The FBR remains committed to its mission of enhancing the ease of doing business and improving the overall tax environment in the country.